Silver Memorial Bridge
Distant View from Gallipolis
I found this photo the other day, it was taken for a work project a few years ago before I knew about the bridge hunter project. I had to Photoshop out the elements that would give away my employer, who might not appreciate posting his sign. Sorry for the crude editing and the piece of sign pole floating in space in front of the bridge like this. At least you can get a sense of the size and magnitude of this beautiful truss bridge.
It is very similar to the doomed Pomeroy-Mason Bridge upriver a few miles, and also similar to the Ravenswood Bridge that carries US 33 across the Ohio River and, for that matter, the Kanawha River Bridge that exits immediately on the east end to WV 2, taking you to Point Pleasant.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2006
BH Photo #136152
Modern bridge replaced the collapsed Silver Bridge. This also featured a realignment of US 35 to bypass Downtown Point Pleasant. It is historically significant that this new bridge is painted silver, to match its predecessor.
- Through truss bridge over Ohio River on US 35 in Point Pleasant
- Mason County, West Virginia, and Gallia County, Ohio
- Open to traffic
- Built 1969
- Cantilevered through truss
Length of largest span: 900.0 ft.
Total length: 1,964.0 ft.
Deck width: 59.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.83336, -82.14629 (decimal degrees)
38°50'00" N, 82°08'47" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/400506/4298909 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory number
- BH 35340 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 77 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 10, 2018: New photo from Roger Deschner
- November 25, 2018: Photo imported by Roger Deschner
- September 24, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- October 2, 2013: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- May 31, 2013: New photos from M. D. Caillet
- June 16, 2011: New photos from Jeremy Ruble
- August 29, 2010: New Street View added by James Baughn
- November 17, 2009: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated GPS and Location
- March 29, 2009: New photo from J.R. Manning