5 Eureka 00.JPG
An idyllic scene, soon to be gone; in the pictures, you will see a crew drilling test cores into the riverbed to determine the best locations for the new bridge piers.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in October 2009
BH Photo #148346
Written by Robert Thompson
This is the only remaining highway lift span on the Upper Fox RIver system. It is scheduled to be replaced in 2011 by a generic fixed concrete span. A similar bascule span used to carry US 10 across the Wolf River at Fremont, Wisconsin; that span was replaced in the 1970's with a modern highway bridge. Other spans, apparently of identical design, were built at Kewaunee and Muscoda Wisconsin and in Sussex County, Delaware (Central Avenue Bridge).
- Lost Scherzer-type rolling lift bascule bridge (with overhead counterweight) over Fox River on CTH K in Town of Rushford
- Rushford, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Future prospects
- This bridge is now gone. Dumb, dumb, dumb!!
- Built 1939; ruthlessly wiped out 2013
- - Keller & Harrington of Chicago, Illinois
- Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 4 through plate girder spans, 1 single-leaf, through, plate girder bascule span with overhead counterweight.
Length of largest span: 76.4 ft.
Total length: 333.7 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- West Division Street Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.00559, -88.84343 (decimal degrees)
44°00'20" N, 88°50'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/352217/4874145 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory number
- BH 43242 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2012)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 39.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 16, 2015: New photo from Douglas Butler
- March 14, 2015: New photos from Robert Thompson
- December 13, 2013: Updated by Matt Lohry: Updated bridge status: no longer worth driving this stretch of road; historic bridge is...history.
- November 10, 2012: New photos from Robert Thompson
- March 4, 2012: New photo from Robert Thompson
- August 25, 2010: New photo from Robert Thompson
- October 31, 2009: Essay added by Robert Thompson
- October 30, 2009: Updated by Robert Thompson: Bridge scheduled for replacement
- August 16, 2009: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Robert Thompson
- Douglas Butler
- Matt Lohry