CN - Wolf River Lift Bridge
Photos of the bridge before conversion.
These documents were taken from the public Environmental Impact Statement.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson
BH Photo #216925
During the summer of 2003, the swing bridge experienced a catastrophic
mechanical casualty which left the swing mechanism inoperable.
Canadian National Railroad (Wisconsin Central Ltd.) modified the Gillís
Landing Railroad Bridge across the Wolf River from a swing bridge to a
vertical lift bridge.
The modification to the Gillís Landing Railroad Bridge removed the center
pivot swing span machinery and manually operated equipment used in swinging the span.
The existing center pivot pier now houses hydraulic lifting machinery,
converting the existing swing bridge to a vertical lift bridge.
- Pony/through plate girder bridge over Wolf River on Canadian National Railway
- Waupaca County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Swing mechanism was no longer operative. Since the Wolf River at this point is federally designated as Navigable Waters, it was converted to a vertical lift bridge. The project was finished in the Autumn of 2011.
- Several track upgrades have been completed since the bridge was erected in 1894. Major upgrades to the hydraulic swing machinery were completed in 1987.
- - Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Soo Line Railroad (SOO)
- The Gills Landing Bridge consisted of a single track, 160-foot plate-girder swing span that rotated on a circular pivot pier. The swing span was completed in 1894. The pier is protected upstream and downstream by timber frame protection piers. When in its closed position, the span rests on rest piers at each end of the span. The span is reached by two long approach trestles from either shore of the river. In 2011, the broken swing mechanism was removed and a steel tower was erected on the center pier, housing vertical lift machinery. This is likely the ONLY vertical-lift bridge in the world with a CENTER lift tower.
Length of largest span: 160.0 ft.
Deck width: 27.0 ft.
- Also called
- Gill's Landing Swing Bridge
Soo Line Swing Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.30636, -88.88098 (decimal degrees)
44°18'23" N, 88°52'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/349971/4907620 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 760 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 49803 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 10, 2012: Updated by Robert Thompson: Changed description to "Vertical Lift Bridge"
- March 4, 2012: Updated by Robert Thompson: Editorial change in description
- October 10, 2011: Added by Robert Thompson