WSOR - Wisconsin River Bridge
Railroad bridge in distance
Taken from the US-14 boat landing, the bridge is about 1/2 mile away.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in November 2011
BH Photo #220981
Being on and surrounded by private property, the bridge is inaccessible except by water. This makes closer inspection of the design and construction details difficult. The best place to view the bridge is from the boat landing under the US-14 Wisconsin River UCEB-type bridge.
- Through truss swing bridge over Wisconsin River on Wisconsin & Southern Railroad
- Spring Green, Sauk County, Wisconsin, and Iowa County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built in 1905
- - Wisconsin & Southern Railroad (WSOR)
- Combination of Through Truss Fixed Spans, Cantilever Truss Swing Span, and Plate Girder Fixed Spans. As part of the now defunct Fox-Wisconsin Waterway, this bridge was required to have a swing span for the passage of vessels. However, owing to the shifting sandbars in the river, there was no guarantee that the swing span would be located at the main channel of the river.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.17422, -90.03324 (decimal degrees)
43°10'27" N, 90°01'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/741138/4784435 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Spring Green
- Inventory number
- BH 50335 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 23, 2015: New photo from Charles Kuehn
- August 26, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Wisconsin & Southern Railroad", "Navigable waterway"
- August 26, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- November 26, 2011: Added by Robert Thompson