This is the oldest known through truss extant in Wisconsin.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2008
BH Photo #120291
Decorated for Christmas:
Here's a postcard photo of the bridge at its original location - "the foot of Chestnut Street" near downtown Burlington.
The bridge was moved 30 feet north and used for traffic while its replacement - a concrete bridge - was built from September 1921 to July 1922.
Work on the concrete bridge was suspended for the winter, because city officials thought there was too much danger from freezing to allow pouring of concrete to continue. Work on the bridge started again in April 1922.
In March 1922 the Board of Public Works was authorized by the city council to sell the steel bridge to the highest bidder. John Frey, who owned the farm that George Bieneman bought in 1944, bought the steel bridge for $300 in April 1922. The bridge was dismantled and moved to Frey's farm after the concrete bridge was opened July 15, 1922. Workmen then reassembled the steel bridge over Honey Creek, where it sits today.