Lawe Street Bascule Bridge (Kaukauna, Wisconsin)
Lawe Street Bridge demolition 1
Looking to the south; most of the bridge is still intact, but the Bascule span has lost its deck.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in November 2009
BH Photo #149555
Written by Robert Thompson
...to Mr. Jason Holmes at the Kaukauna City Engineer's office for the information.
- Lost arch bridge over Fox River (US Army Corps of Engineers navigation canal) on Wisconsin Highway 55 (Lawe Street). Replaced earlier swing bridge.
- Kaukauna, Outagamie County, Wisconsin
- Replaced by new bridge
- Future prospects
- This bridge was a wonderful concrete multiple-arch bridge, with a dual-leaf riveted steel bascule span over the canal. The current bridge replacing it is an undistinguished multiple-span concrete girder and pier bridge.
- Built in 1931; replaced in 1999
- A concrete beam span from the south was followed by 5 concrete arches, spanning the channel of the Fox River. At the north end, a dual-leaf riveted steel Bascule span crossed the navigation canal, followed by a massive concrete abutment.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.28105, -88.26875 (decimal degrees)
44°16'52" N, 88°16'07" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/398760/4903871 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 655 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 43650 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 13, 2020: Updated by Geoff Hubbs: Added built and loss dates
- November 4, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- November 18, 2009: Updated by Robert Thompson: Added "Kaukauna" to Lawe Street Bridge; there is also a Lawe Street Bascule Bridge 15 miles upstream in Appleton.