CN - Appleton Swing Bridge
11 Appleton Swing 01.JPG
Rail Swing Bridge crosses the Corps of Engineers canal downstream of Appleton Lock #3.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in October 2009
BH Photo #148388
Written by Robert Thompson
The former Chicago & Northwestern Railway crosses the Corps of Engineers canal at this point. The Milwaukee Road (CMSP&P RR) line had a similar bridge (now dismantled) under the Memorial Drive road bridge further upstream.
- Through truss bridge over Fox River Navigation Canal on Canadian National Railway
- Appleton, Outagamie County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- - Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Fox Valley & Western Ltd. (FVW)
- Wisconsin Central Ltd. (WC)
- Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 230.0 ft.
Total length: 330.0 ft.
- Also called
- C&NW - Fox River Swing Bridge (Appleton)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.25548, -88.39406 (decimal degrees)
44°15'20" N, 88°23'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/388712/4901193 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 20 N., R. 15 E .
- 710 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 43566 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 9, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- October 9, 2014: New photos from John Marvig
- September 29, 2014: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- October 2, 2012: New photo from Robert Thompson
- December 28, 2010: New photo from Robert Thompson
- November 22, 2009: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Railroad Data
- October 31, 2009: Essay added by Robert Thompson