CN - New London Swing Bridge
2 New London 01.JPG
A round center pier is a dead giveaway for a Swing bridge.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in October 2009
BH Photo #148339
The swing mechanism has been removed and replaced with a timber cribbing.
Written by Robert Thompson
Why is there a swing bridge in this remote location?
The Wolf River was part of the lumber route from northern Wisconsin to the sawmills and paper mills of the Fox River Valley. The Lower Wolf River is a meandering river without steep gradient; here, log rafts were pulled by tugboat to the mills, about 48 miles downstream by water. This swing bridge allowed the tugs to navigate past the rail crossing.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Wolf River on Canadian National Railway
- New London, Outagamie County, Wisconsin
- Swing Bridge on the Wolf River; rendered `fixed' after this portion of the Wolf River was made non-navigable by the construction of a fixed bridge downstream.
- Built 1893
- - Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Fox Valley & Western Ltd. (FVW)
- Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railway (MLS&W)
- Wisconsin Central Ltd. (WC)
- One fixed span, one (formerly) swing span.
Length of largest span: 130.0 ft.
Total length: 180.0 ft.
- Also called
- CN - Wolf River Swing Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.39376, -88.73163 (decimal degrees)
44°23'38" N, 88°43'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/362088/4917066 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- New London
- Land survey
- T. 22 N., R. 14 E.
- Inventory number
- BH 43565 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 9, 2014: Updated by John Marvig: added build date
- September 29, 2014: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- August 22, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- November 22, 2009: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected Railroad Data
- October 31, 2009: Essay added by Robert Thompson
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Robert Thompson
- Douglas Butler
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com