The Five Shovelmen Bridge
The Five Shovelmen Bridge Sparta, WI
Photo taken by Chris and Joyce Barlow in September 2016
BH Photo #376734
This is the fifth major bridge project constructed by the Five Shovelmen. This bridge is also the longest span, and the entire project the most ambitious. It was built with logistical assistance from US Silica, a company truly committed to their promise of seeing a bridge built between Amundson Park and the future Smith Lake.
- Modern bowstring through truss bridge over LaCrosse River on Pedestrians and Bicycles
- Sparta, Monroe County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic. Dedicated September 20, 2016
- Future prospects
- This bridge will have an extensive bicycle trail built this coming summer on the south side of the LaCrosse River, ultimately connecting to the State Bike Trail
- The bridge groundbreaking was on Dec 9, 2015. It was constructed entirely by volunteers known as the Five Shovelmen. The bridge has its origins in a Conditional Use Permit agree to by US Silica and the City of Sparta.
- - Alan Jenkins
- Gerald Kast
- James Cook
- Kerry Schumann
- Reinhard Mueller
- The Five Shovelmen of Sparta, Wisconsin
- Modern bowstring through truss
Length of largest span: 80.0 ft.
Total length: 238.0 ft.
Deck width: 8.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.92807, -90.84354 (decimal degrees)
43°55'41" N, 90°50'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/673102/4866143 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 830 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 75310 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 24, 2017: Added by Reinhard Mueller