Martha Washington Bridge
The east portal
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in March 2008
The Washington Highlands
Written by J.R. Manning
This bridge is just one component of one of the first planned "Garden Communities." Designed in 1916, the roads were planned to discourage through traffic, yet allow easy access for residents and for lots of park land. The roads were designed to follow the contours of the existing land rather than to try level the area.
From 1870 to 1910 and the development of the Washington Highlands, this was the farm of Captain Frederick Pabst. It was here The Captain raised stock and hops for his Pabst Brewery. (His beer would go on to win the Blue Ribbon at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago and become known as "That Blue Ribbon Beer.")
- Concrete arch bridge over Martha Washington Drive on W. Washington Blvd. in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built 1964
- Closed-spandrel concrete arch with stone facing
Length of largest span: 61.4 ft.
Total length: 63.7 ft.
Deck width: 29.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.05900, -87.99100 (decimal degrees)
43°03'32" N, 87°59'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/419302/4767843 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 34882 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2010)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 80.4 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- March 16, 2008: Essay added by J.R. Manning