Brown Deer Parkway Bridge
The East Face
As seen from across the east side of the lagoon. Many Milwaukee County Parks have bridges and structures build in this same depression-era style, using similar designs and lannon stone as the primary material.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2007
BH Photo #110944
Written by J.R. Manning
"Lannon Stone" is a building material that is commonly used in the Milwaukee area. It was used extensively in Milwaukee County Parks during depression era construction projects for structures of all kinds, many of them were WPA projects.
From tiny control buildings to arch bridges to structures of many kinds, Lannon Stone is ubiquitous, even moreso than Cream City Brick, also a common building material in the area. Many county golf course buildings are constructed of the attractive, white stone, including clubhouses. For example, the impressive club house that overlooks the golf course, right here in Brown Deer Park, is constructed of Lannon Stone. Brown Deer Park is the location of a PGA golf tournament, formerly known as the Greater Milwaukee Open.
The stone is actually dolomite but takes its name from the area, northwest of Milwaukee, from which it is quarried.
This bridge uses "Lannon Stone" for facing.
- Concrete arch bridge over Park Lagoon on Brown Deer Parkway in Milwaukee
- Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936
- Closed-spandrel concrete arch with stone facing
Length of largest span: 22.0 ft.
Total length: 27.9 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.15830, -87.95480 (decimal degrees)
43°09'30" N, 87°57'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/422375/4778836 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory number
- BH 34845 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2018)
- Overall condition: Good
Sufficiency rating: 90.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 6, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added bridge to new category, Lannon Stone
- March 16, 2008: Essay added by J.R. Manning
- February 27, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added GPS Coordinates
- February 3, 2008: New photos from J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net