W. North Avenue Bridge East
The north face
A virtual twin to this bridge, albeit in worse condition, is located just a few yards to the west of this bridge, on North Avenue.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in March 2008
Written by J.R. Manning
"Lannon Stone" is a building material that is commonly used in the Milwaukee area. It was used extensively in Milwaukee County Parks during depression era construction projects for structures of all kinds, many of them were WPA projects.
From tiny control buildings to arch bridges to structures of many kinds, Lannon Stone is ubiquitous, even moreso than Cream City Brick, also a common building material in the area. Many county golf course buildings are constructed of the attractive, white stone, including clubhouses. For example, the impressive club house that overlooks the golf course in Brown Deer Park, is constructed of Lannon Stone. Brown Deer Park is the location of a PGA golf tournament, formerly known as the Greater Milwaukee Open.
The stone is actually dolomite but takes its name from the area, northwest of Milwaukee, from which it is quarried.
This bridge uses "Lannon Stone" for facing and parapet walls.
- Concrete arch bridge over Menomonee River on North Avenue in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built 1934
- - Jacobus & Winging Concrete Construction Co.
- Closed-spandrel concrete arch with stone facing
Length of largest span: 67.9 ft.
Total length: 78.1 ft.
Deck width: 56.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.06040, -88.03335 (decimal degrees)
43°03'37" N, 88°02'00" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/415855/4768040 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 34870 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2010)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 69.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- April 6, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added bridge to new category, Lannon Stone
- March 16, 2008: Essay added by J.R. Manning
- March 15, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning