The Iowa side of the Mississippi River
The ferry will sometimes wait here if there are no passengers. There is a semaphore on the Wisconsin side to signal the ferry.
NOTE: Updates on the ferry begin with photo #8, taken in June 2012. The tug has been replaced and the barge has been refreshed.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2007
BH Photo #109828
"The Pride of Cassville Car Ferry connects two National Scenic Byways; the Great River Road and the Iowa Great River Road. The ferry served the early settlement as far back as 1833 and it continues today, making the same trip back and forth across the mighty Mississippi. It is the oldest operating ferry service in the state of Wisconsin." - from cassville.org
This ferry is unusual in that the barge and tug are separate. The barge remains in the same orientation at all times, featuring a Wisconsin flag on the end that docks at the Wisconsin shore, and an Iowa flag on the other end. The tug reverses direction by pivoting at the start of each crossing.
- Toll ferry over the Mississippi River between Cassville, Wisconsin, and Turkey River, Iowa
- Cassville, Grant County, Wisconsin, and Clayton County, Iowa
- Operates daily during the summer; weekends only fall and spring; closed in winter
- Ferry first operated in 1833
- Ferry barge propelled by separate tugboat
- Also called
- Pride of Cassville Car Ferry
Cassville Car Ferry
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.71342, -90.99265 (decimal degrees)
42°42'48" N, 90°59'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/664376/4730945 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 34772 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 10, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Add start date (1833) and description; now operates daily in summer.
- June 11, 2012: New photos from J.R. Manning
- February 29, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning: Added GPS Coordinates
- January 26, 2008: New photos from J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com
- Cassville Car Ferry - Official web page, with operating dates and ferry toll rates