The Northwestern Bridge is by far the most historically significant of the three bridges. The quintuple intersection lattice deck truss spans each of 180' and a 30' 8.25" depth are graced by massive stone piers and 80' a Deck Plate Girder approach span on each side. The original bridge, a wood Howe Through Truss with simple pile trestle approaches and massive wood piers only lasted 10 short years. The replacement was a bridge similar to it, only with massive lattice deck truss spans and howe deck truss approaches, one on each side. These approaches were replaced in 1898 by Lassig Bridge and Iron Works with 80' Deck Plate Girders, again, one on each side.
At the time of construction, the 1880 bridge crossed a log flume for logs to bypass the dam and head to the paper mills, and a Milwaukee Road track on the east side
The bridge always had weight restrictions, and was abandoned in 1992, being transferred to Eau Claire ownership in 2007
The bridge is planned to be a trail. It currently stands much as it looked in 1880, a staggering 82' above the river.
1870-The Western Wisconsin Railway arrives at Eau Claire and builds massive wood truss structures over both the Eau Claire and Chippewa Rivers.
1880/1- both the Chippewa River Bridge and the Eau Claire River Bridge are rebuilt
1898-The Eau Claire River Bridge is completely rebuilt, and new approaches added to the Chippewa River Bridge
1901-The Eau Claire River bridge becomes a gauntlet, line between Yukon Jct and Altoona is double tracked
1911-work begins on a new high speed double track bypass to the single track high bridge over the Chippewa River. Work begins on a new double track bridge about 1000 yards upstream of the current bridge (600 yards above the dam)
August 6th 1912-a new 2.15 mile double track line built with high speed curves and grades opens, allowing trains to travel at a maximum of 60 miles per hour through Eau Claire, until the Eau Claire River Bridge. The new bridge significantly cuts the traffic on the old one.
1914-A double track line between Milwaukee and St. Paul is completed, allowing for high speed passenger and freight travel between the two cities, going through Eau Claire along the way.
1916-Plans for a second bridge parallel to the existing one over the Eau Claire river are brought to life, but are later deemed too expensive
1991-The double track is completely removed
1992-old Chippewa River Bridge abandoned
1995-Chicago & Northwestern is swallowed by Union Pacific
2007-Excel Energy purchases old Chippewa River Bridge from Union Pacific due to demolition plans, donates it to Eau Claire to save their gas line
2013-Old Chippewa River Bridge to become a trail