This was a dual-use span, providing a toll vehicle roadway and also providing the Ahnapee and Western Railroad a rail link to the shipyards across the bay. Vehicle traffic had to be cleared off the bridge before a train crossing. With the construction of the Michigan St. Bridge in 1931, it was closed to non-rail traffic. The new bridge was situated in such a way to make ship navigation difficult; this may have led to the ship collision with the Michigan St. bridge in 1960. After the demise of the A&WRR, the bridge was demolished to improve ship navigation.
This was the first bridge crossing the bay of Sturgeon Bay
It was originally accessed from shore via a wooden trestle, which was later filled in to create a causeway. The causeway remains, and is reused as a public park with a splendid view of the shipyards and the Michigan St. bridge.
Sturgeon Bay Toll Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.83328, -87.38321(decimal degrees) 44°49'60" N, 87°22'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")