Scofield Road Overpass
"The Scofield Road Bridge utilizes a single span, two lane, Warren Double-Intersection pony truss. Although the original date of construction is unknown, evidence indicates that the structure was reinforced in 1891 by the Alden and Lassig Bridge and Iron Works of Chicago for use by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, and rebuilt by the Lassig Plant of the American Bridge Company in 1910 for highway use. The span was identified in Cultural Resource Management in Wisconsin
(the state's cultural resource plan) as one of the state's best examples of a Warren Double-Intersection pony truss with inclined endposts. With its intergrity largely intact, the Scofield Road Bridge is significant as an excellent example of an increasingly rare, late nineteenth and early twentieth century bridge-type.
"This project has been sponsored by the Wisconsin Department of Transporation, Gremmer, Ohm Towig & Due, consulting engineers in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, formally acted as the contracting agency. The project was directed by Dr. John N. Vogle, Principal Investigator and Sr. Historian for Heritage Research, Ltd. (HRL), who provided the photographic documentation and the architectural/technical data. He also edited and prepared the final document."
--Historic American Engineering Record
- Double-intersection Warren pony truss bridge over Union Pacific Railroad (Formerly Chicago & Northwestern) on Scofield Road near Lebanon
- Lebanon, Dodge County, Wisconsin
- Built Prior to 1891, Moved to this location and reinforced in 1891; Rebuilt 1910 for highway use; Removed circa 1996, Reused in 2006 at Astico County Park
- - Alden & Lassig Bridge & Iron Works of Chicago, Illinois (Scofield Road)
- American Bridge Co. of New York (Lassig Plant at Chicago, 1910 rebuild)
- Single span, two lane, Warren Double-Intersection pony truss
Span length: 64.0 ft.
Total length: 64.0 ft.
Deck width: 28.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.26175, -88.64110 (decimal degrees)
43°15'42" N, 88°38'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/366804/4791189 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 37246 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 27, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: Reused in 2006 at Astico County Park
- January 24, 2010: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected several typos and moved text to a more appropriate place.
- August 19, 2008: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- HAER WI-97 - Scofield Road Bridge, Spanning Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, Lebanon vicinity, Dodge County, WI