Full View Of Bridge, Looking Northwest
The bridge was located adjacent to the Horicon Marsh Wildlife Refuge and was owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #119208
Written by H. John Dobrovolny, Regional Historic Preservation Officer, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Chester Bridge is considered important in Wisconsin history because it is a type of bridge that is rapidly disappearing in the State, it is a link in the development of truss bridge construction, and it is an early example of a bridge built by the Wisconsin Bridge and Iron Company.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Rock River on Old Marsh Road, former Wisconsin SH 49 in Town of Chester
- Town of Chester, Dodge County, Wisconsin
- Built 1892-93; Removed ca. 1989
- - Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 6 panel Pratt through truss
Span length: 87.0 ft.
Total length: 87.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.62138, -88.68382 (decimal degrees)
43°37'17" N, 88°41'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/364144/4831199 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Waupun South
- Inventory number
- BH 37015 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 2, 2009: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status to Lost
- August 1, 2008: Essay added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- HAER WI-59 - Chester Bridge, Spanning Rock River on Old Marsh Road, Chester Township, Dodge County, WI