The Colsac III Ferry
The Colsac III ferry operates from mid-April to November 30, each year, weather permitting and operates 24/7 in season. "Colsac" is a phonetic combination of the names of Columbia and Sauk Counties, separated by the Wisconsin River. A ferry has been in operation at this site since 1844, four years before Wisconsin became a state.
The Wisconsin DOT site claims this is a one-mile crossing, but near as I can tell, it's really about 4/10 of a mile.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in October 2007
BH Photo #111238
The current vessel (COLSAC III) was dedicated on May 16, 2003. The previous steel vessel (COLSAC II) was put into service in 1963, and ran for 40 years. The original wooden COLSAC was already in service in 1933 when the State of Wisconsin took over operation of this service. No information is available for the vessels that preceded this COLSAC.
- Ferry across Wisconsin River on Wis 113
- Columbia County, Wisconsin, and Sauk County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Privately owned, free ferry from 1844 to 1923, operated by State of Wisconsin since 1933 as a free ferry
- - Basic Marine Inc. of Escanaba, Michigan (Colsac III 2003-)
- Marinette Marine Co. of Marinette, Wisconsin (Colsac II 1963-2002)
- Unknown Firm of Dubuque, Iowa (Colsac I 1924-1963)
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Colsac III Ferry
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.36780, -89.62360 (decimal degrees)
43°22'04" N, 89°37'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/287430/4805002 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 74000330 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 36174 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 15, 2014: New Street View added by Luke
- June 29, 2014: New photos from Steve Conro
- December 13, 2013: Updated by Robert Thompson: Corrected build date.
- November 16, 2009: Updated by Robert Thompson: Added builder
- November 15, 2009: New photos from Robert Thompson
- August 9, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated NRHP Listing
- February 5, 2008: Added by J.R. Manning