Spring Street Bridge
Spring Street Bridge Historical Marker Text
Transcribed by J.R. Manning (See Photos #7 & #8)
THE MARSH RAINBOW
The City of Chippewa Falls was organized around two moving bodies of water, the Chippewa River and its tributary Duncan Creek. Bridges soon became necessary with rapid expansion of the transportation system in the late 19th and early 20th century. By 1891, within the city limits, seven bridges crossed Duncan Creek and one crossed the Chippewa River.
This architecturally significant "Rainbow Arch Bridge" is a classic example of the small reinforced concrete bridges which began appearing around the United States in the 1890's and were built in large numbers in the early 20th century. The 93 foot single span Spring Street Bridge is contructed in the typical arch form in which the roadway is suspended from the arch. Eight concrete vertical intermediate posts on each side are jointed by the concrete floor beams. It is further characterized by the two decorative balustrade railings, and the four original lamp posts that remain intact.
The bridge was built in 1916 by the Iowa Bridge Company at a cost of $13,950. It was the only Duncan Creek bridge that survived the destructive flood of 1934. CHIPPEWA COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
MARKER SIGN #9
- Rainbow arch bridge over Duncan Creek on Spring Street in Chippewa Falls
- Chippewa Falls, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Future uncertain. May become a one-way bridge in 2012 and have a sealant reapplied.
- Built 1916; Placed on NRHP 1982
- - Iowa Bridge Co. of Des Moines, Iowa
- James Barney Marsh of North Lake, Wisconsin
- Concrete through arch
Length of largest span: 93.2 ft.
Total length: 110.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1982
- Also called
- Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.93633, -91.39061 (decimal degrees)
44°56'11" N, 91°23'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/626984/4977137 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Chippewa Falls
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 82000642 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 34706 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 02/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 40.5 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- July 28, 2017: New photo from J.R. Manning
- November 16, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge status.
- May 31, 2010: Essay added by J.R. Manning
- May 30, 2010: New Street View added by James Baughn
- August 8, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated NRHP Listing
- August 3, 2008: New photos from J.R. Manning