Significance of the Cobban Bridge
Written by Diane Kromm, Wisconsin Historic Bridges Recording Project, Summmer 1987
The Modern Steel Structures Company of Waukesha constructed the Yellow River Bridge across the Chippewa River in 1908. The firm, incorporated in 1900, developed the most modern and complete steel structural plant in the West. Between 1916 and 1918, the Wisconsin-Minnesota Power & Light Company built a hydroelectric dam four miles downstream from the bridge, putting the site under water. The townships of Eagle Point and Arthur arranged to have the 486-foot span dismantled and re-erected 15 miles upstream near the village of Cobban. The Cast Stone Construction Company, in Eau Claire, installed the new concrete substructure. Crombley and Thailacker, a Milwaukee bridge-building firm, apparently erected the steel work. The Yellow River Bridge is the oldest of four Pennsylvania truss bridges remaining in Wisconsin.
- Pennsylvania through truss bridge over Chippewa River on CTH T
- Cobban, Chippewa County, Wisconsin
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- Available for reuse
- Built in 1908; Moved 15 miles upriver to avoid inundation, 1918-19; rehabilitated 1995
- - Modern Steel Structural Co. of Waukesha, Wisconsin
- Two span, pin-connected Pennsylvania steel overhead truss. The two spans are identical.
NOTE: With the destruction of the remaining Pennsylvania truss bridges in Wisconsin, these spans are the last surviving Pennsylvania truss spans in the state.
Length of largest span: 241.2 ft.
Total length: 486.5 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.3 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Yellow River Bridge
Chippewa River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.10707, -91.20855 (decimal degrees)
45°06'25" N, 91°12'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/640930/4996405 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory number
- BH 34696 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 26 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 8, 2018: Updated by Dana and Kay Klein: Added categories "Othmar H. Ammann Nominee", "Othmar H Ammann Award winner"
- January 6, 2016: New photo from Nathan Holth
- December 29, 2014: New photos from Matt Lohry
- April 19, 2014: New photo from Max Koehn
- October 9, 2011: New photos from Steve Conro
- September 3, 2010: New Street View added by Matthew Lohry
- August 4, 2008: Updated by J.R. Manning
- August 3, 2008: Essay added by James Baughn
- August 3, 2008: Essay added by J.R. Manning