Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge
Looking upriver from rivermouth
The lighthouse structure is a Range Light, relocated from an island next to the ship channel in the bay
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in November 2009
BH Photo #149826
Who was Leo Frigo?
Written by Robert Thompson
Leo Frigo was born into a large family in rural Wisconsin. After growing up, he spent a few months with a Trappist monastery, a stint in Korea with the US Army, followed by a degree from Iowa State University. Returning to Wisconsin, he helped expand the family cheese business, retiring as President in 1983.
For most people, retirement means a break from hard work. But for Leo, it meant spending his days helping rehabilitate parolees. While doing this, Leo discovered that many could not find jobs, and stole just to feed their families. In response, he found his true life's work, founding a food bank called Paul's Pantry.
Leo used to say, "Its better that I go into the dumpster rather than making the poor go there, at the end of the day my dignity will be intact and so will theirs." Leo passed away on February 13, 2001 from injuries sustained in a car accident. He was delivering food to a shut in. After Leo's death, the Tower Drive Bridge in Green Bay was renamed in his honor.
- Steel through tied arch bridge over Fox River on I-43 in Green Bay
- Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built 1981; closed Sept. 25, 2013, after the deck was found to be sagging; reopened January 5, 2014
- Steel tied through arch. Seaway bridge; 120 foot vertical clearance over channel.
Length of largest span: 450.2 ft.
Deck width: 80.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 18.8 ft.
- Also called
- Tower Drive Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.53326, -88.00863 (decimal degrees)
44°31'60" N, 88°00'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/419861/4931598 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Green Bay West
- 577 ft. above sea level
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory number
- BH 34667 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 80 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 7, 2016: New photos from Peter Johnson
- July 13, 2014: Updated by Fmiser: Changed it from category "Bowstring Arch" to "Tied Arch".
- May 4, 2014: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge has been reopened
- September 25, 2013: Updated by James Baughn: Bridge is closed after the deck along the east approach was found to be sagging
- April 17, 2011: New photo from Robert Thompson
- August 29, 2010: New photo from Nick Brnot
- August 4, 2010: New Street View added by Jason Smith
- November 24, 2009: Essay added by Robert Thompson