Fox River Bridge (Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge)
Looking upriver from rivermouth
The lighthouse structure is a Range Light, relocated from an island next to the ship channel in the bay
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in November 2009
Who was Leo Frigo?
Written by Robert Thompson
Leo Frigo was born into a large family in rural Wisconsin. After growing up, he spent a few months with a Trappist monastery, a stint in Korea with the US Army, followed by a degree from Iowa State University. Returning to Wisconsin, he helped expand the family cheese business, retiring as President in 1983.
For most people, retirement means a break from hard work. But for Leo, it meant spending his days helping rehabilitate parolees. While doing this, Leo discovered that many could not find jobs, and stole just to feed their families. In response, he found his true life's work, founding a food bank called Paul's Pantry.
Leo used to say, "Its better that I go into the dumpster rather than making the poor go there, at the end of the day my dignity will be intact and so will theirs." Leo passed away on February 13, 2001 from injuries sustained in a car accident. He was delivering food to a shut in. After Leo's death, the Tower Drive Bridge in Green Bay was renamed in his honor.
- Steel through arch bridge over Fox River on I-43 in Green Bay
- Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built 1979; rehabilitated 1980
- Steel through arch. Seaway bridge; 120 foot vertical clearance over channel.
Length of largest span: 450.2 ft.
Deck width: 80.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 18.8 ft.
- Also called
- Tower Drive Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.53326, -88.00863 (decimal degrees)
44°31'60" N, 88°00'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/419861/4931598 (zone/easting/northing)
- 577 ft. above sea level
- USGS topographic map
- Green Bay West
- Inventory number
- BH 34667 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 91.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- April 17, 2011: New photo from Robert Thompson
- August 29, 2010: New photo from Nick Brnot
- August 4, 2010: New Street View added by Jason Smith
- November 24, 2009: Essay added by Robert Thompson