Mosquito Lake Road Bridge
Photo taken by Jeffrey N. Curtis.
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #236908
This bridge was built in 1915 by the Toledo Bridge and Crane Company and the Weymouth Construction Company. It was originally located across the Nooksack River on Guide Meridian Road, current WA 539, south of Lynden. In 1951 the steel through-truss was moved to its present location across the Middle Fork Nooksack River, when a modern structure replaced it on Guide Meridian Road. When relocated two truss panels where removed, reducing the 380-foot bridge span to its present 338 feet. Nonetheless, the bridge remains the longest pin-connected highway bridge in Washington State. In 2007 Whatcom County replaced the deck and approaches and painted the bridge.
Source: Spanning Washington – Craig Holstine and Richard Hobbs
- Through truss bridge over Middle Fork Nooksack River on Mosquito Lake Road
- Whatcom County, Washington
- Open to traffic
- Built 1915; Moved here and modified 1951; Rehabilitated in 2010
- - Toledo Bridge & Crane Co. of Toledo, Ohio (Contractor)
- Weymouth Construction Co. (Contractor)
- Pennsylvania through truss
Length of largest span: 337.9 ft.
Total length: 416.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1982
- Also called
- Middle Fork Nooksack River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +48.78543, -122.11283 (decimal degrees)
48°47'08" N, 122°06'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/565167/5403983 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Canyon Lake
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 82004305 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 34606 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 66.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 16, 2017: New photo from Luke
- January 16, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- January 16, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- December 15, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- July 4, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Pin was several feet from the actual bridge, bridge still exists. Added info about 2010 rehab
- August 7, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- March 18, 2012: Updated by Craig Philpott: corrected location