Howard Street Bridge
Seen from the pedestrian suspension bridge
Spokane falls is in the foreground.
Photo taken by Quinn Phelan in November 2005
BH Photo #130614
Howard Street bridge was constructed by Beers Building Company of Seattle in 1916. The choice of a pin connected steel truss design is noteworthy for a number of reasons. The city engineers had begun to rely almost exclusively on reinforced concrete structures in the wake of the 1915 collapse of a steel truss bridge at Division Street and the introduction of field riveting machines had largely eliminated the use of pin connections by this time. The Howard Street Bridge is one of the few surviving structures of this type capable of supporting a two lane asphalt roadway and two concrete sidewalks. The pin connected bridges built in this era seldom had to support more than a narrow roadway built of wooden planks. Survival of this crossing is almost certainly due to its conversion to a pedestrian path for the grounds of the 1974 World’s Fair.
- Through truss bridge over Middle Channel Spokane River on Howard Street in Spokane
- Spokane, Spokane County, Washington
- Open to traffic
- Built 1916; rehabilitated 1963
- - Beer's Building Co. of Seattle, Washington
- Baltimore through truss
Length of largest span: 193.9 ft.
Total length: 242.1 ft.
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +47.66305, -117.42107 (decimal degrees)
47°39'47" N, 117°25'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/468386/5278936 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Spokane NW
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory number
- BH 34545 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 35 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 19, 2018: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info to description
- October 2, 2017: New photos from John Bernhisel
- April 7, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- April 6, 2017: New photos from Mike Goff
- May 5, 2015: New photos from C Hanchey
- August 6, 2014: New Street View added by Luke
- August 25, 2011: New photo from Quinn Phelan
- December 18, 2008: New photos from Quinn Phelan
- Quinn Phelan - qphelan [at] earthlink [dot] net
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- John Bernhisel - Johnmbernhisel [at] gmail [dot] com
- Richard Doody