Purdy Bridge was one of the first reinforced-concrete box girders in the nation when completed and the longest.
- Concrete deck girder bridge over Burley Lagoon on Washington 302
- Pierce County, Washington
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936, Rehabilitated 1966
- - Homer Hadley of Seattle, Washington (Conceptual Designer)
- Portland Dredging Co. of Portland, Oregon (Contractor)
- W.H. Witt Co. of Seattle, Washington (Consulting Design Firm)
- The Purdy Bridge is a 550-foot long, continuous box girder bridge. It is one of a handful designed and built in Pierce and King Counties during the 1930's. Workmen poured concrete around a hollowed, steel box girder to form the roadway slab and top flanges, 15-feet wide and 7-inches deep at the crown. The long, 190-foot middle section was designed as a simple suspended beam. The piers were also cellular and flush with the sides of the deck box girder.
(Spanning Washington, Historic Highway Bridge of the Evergreen State, Craig Holstine & Richard Hobbs, 2005)
Length of largest span: 190.0 ft.
Total length: 550.0 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1982
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +47.38382, -122.62851 (decimal degrees)
47°23'02" N, 122°37'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/528039/5247884 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 82004274 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 44372 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 24.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 28, 2015: Updated by Nathan Holth: Corrected H.W. Witt Co. to W.H. Witt Co.
- October 2, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: Merged NBI Data, listed as continuous, listed rehab date.
- March 24, 2011: New photos from Michael Goff