Rating:
2 votes

BN - Snoqualmie Weyerhaeuser Mill Bridge

Photos 

Only the eastern approach remains

Photo taken by Neil Martel in March 2011

Enlarge

BH Photo #243983

Map 

Street View 

Facts 

Overview
Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Snoqualmie River on Burlington Northern Railroad (Nee Northern Pacific Railroad)
Location
Snoqualmie, King County, Washington
Status
Removed by USACE
History
Built 1896 in Wisconsin; Re-erected here 1916; Howe truss replaced in kind 1925; Howe truss replaced w/ DPGs 1955; Sold to Northwest Railway Museum 1975; DPGs destroyed by flooding 1990; Sold to King County for rail reuse 1994; Scrapped 2005
Builders
- A & P Roberts Co. of Pencoyd, Pennsylvania
- Pencoyd Iron Works of Pencoyd, Pennsylvania
Railroad
- Northern Pacific Railroad (NP)
Design
1 180' Pratt through truss
1 90' Howe truss (Clad 1925; replaced 1955 by the following DPGs)
1 27' deck plate girder
1 50' deck plate girder
630' pile trestle
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 180.0 ft.
Total length: 887.0 ft.
Also called
BN - Snoqualmie Bridge
NP - Snoqualmie Weyerhaeuser Mill Bridge
BN - Snoqualmie River Bridge
NP - Snoqualmie Bridge
NP Bridge 5.46
NP - Snoqualmie River Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+47.53389, -121.82757   (decimal degrees)
47°32'02" N, 121°49'39" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/588242/5265162 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Snoqualmie
Inventory numbers
NP Bridge 5.46
BH 54707 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • January 16, 2018: New Street View added by Luke
  • November 30, 2012: Updated by Neil Martel: Corrected overview

Comments 

BN - Snoqualmie Weyerhaeuser Mill Bridge
Posted January 16, 2018, by John Taubeneck (jtaub [at] juno [dot] com)

This bridge was built in 1917 by the Northern Pacific to access the Snoqualmie Falls Lbr. Co. mill. The main span was a 180' pin connected truss built by the Pencoyd Iron Works in 1896 for somewhere on the Northern Pacific main line. The next span was a 90' wooden Howe truss and finally

a 630' pile trestle. In 1925 the Howe truss was replaced in kind and covered with galvanized iron sheets. In 1955 the wooden Howe truss was replaced with two deck plate girder spans 27 and 50 feet long. In 1976 the bridge was donated to the Puget Sound Railway Historical Assn. The three spans were removed after October 1988.

MILW - Snoqualmie River Bridge
Posted January 16, 2018, by John Taubeneck (jtaub [at] juno [dot] com)

This was a Northern Pacific bridge that passed to the Burlington Northern then to the Puget Sound Railway Historical Assn. I have some notes on the history of this bridge and will post it if they can be found.