Hoquiam River Swing Bridge
Photo taken by K. A. Erickson in February 2011
This is not a logging railroad bridge, but former Northern Pacific Railway Bridge 3.2 (Later Burlington Northern, then Puget Sound & Pacific). It was on the "Horn Track" or "Lytle Spur" and crossed the Hoquiam River so the railroad could serve Grays Harbor Veneer, and Woodlawn (Later Hoquiam) Plywood. It used to see two trains daily and was manned 24 hours a day except for Sundays. Many people crossed this bridge by foot/bicycle that connected North Hoquiam to Woodlawn to work. It was first gas motor operated and later converted to electric operation around 1956. Burlington Northern discontinued 24 hour operation around 1972 and used a bridge tender on call when trains only crossed it once a day.