Nutty Narrows Bridge
Nutty Narrows Bridge Crossing
See an actual Squirrel cross the Nutty Narrows Bridge
Play video on YouTube
Before the bridge was built, squirrels had to avoid speeding traffic by running across the street to eat a nutty feast at an office building and back again to a park with large trees.
On March 19, 1963, Amos Peters, after seeing many squirrels being flattened, decided to protect squirrels and give them a way to cross a busy thoroughfare without getting killed by passing cars. The original sky-bridge was built over Olympia Way near the Civic Center in downtown Longview.
A close-up of the bridge deck with sign
Designed to look like a mini-suspension bridge, the 60-foot-long (18 m) span and made of an aluminum piping covered with a retired firehose to create the roadway. The total cost for the bridge was $1000.
In 1983, Peters took down the bridge for repairs. Crosspieces were replaced and the faded sign was repainted. Upon its completion, the bridge was re-dedicated with special guests Chip 'n' Dale and Mickey Mouse from Disneyland. Also in attendance were 300 children and local dignitaries. [Wikipedia]
- Bridge over Olympia Way on Squirrels Crossing in Longview
- Longview, Cowlitz County, Washington
- Open to squirrels
- Built 1963; Repaired 1983; Relocated 100 yards to the east in 2007 due to the trees it was previously mounted to beginning to rot.
- - Amos J. Peters of Longview, Washington
Total length: 60.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 18, 2014
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +46.14136, -122.94058 (decimal degrees)
46°08'29" N, 122°56'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/504589/5109755 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 14000500 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 64281 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 19, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Open to Squirrels"
- April 23, 2015: New photos from Mike Garland
- November 29, 2014: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "Wildlife Crossing"
- November 27, 2014: New Street View added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net