Rating:
1 vote

Martin Bridge 45-12-06

Photos 

Martin Bridge before rehab

Photo taken by John Borthwick securevermont.com

BH Photo #189408

Map 

Description 

On May 18, 2004 the bridge was removed from it's abutments and placed on blocks for repairs after an inspection found stringers that were rotting at the ends and other problems. Returned over the river during the summer of 2009 where it serves as the entrance to the Marshfield town park.

Facts 

Overview
Queenpost through truss bridge over Winooski River on park entrance
Location
Marshfield, Washington County, Vermont
Status
Open to pedestrians
History
Built 1890 by Herman F. Townsend; Removed from river 2004; Rehabilitated and restored 2009
Builder
- Herman F. Townsend
Design
queenpost truss
Dimensions
Total length: 45.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 9, 1974
Also called
Orton Farm Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.28753, -72.40819   (decimal degrees)
44°17'15" N, 72°24'29" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/706792/4907075 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Plainfield
Inventory numbers
NRHP 74000358 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 45-12-06 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 47168 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 2, 2016: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added photos
  • November 30, 2010: Added by John Borthwick securevermont.com

Sources 

  • John Borthwick
  • Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com