Abandonded CLP - Otter Creek Bridge
CLP - Otter Creek Bridge (old)
Portal showing both the rail bridge (right) and the attached roadway bridge
Photo taken by Michael Quiet
BH Photo #314628
Built in 1907 by the American Bridge Co. for the Clarendon & Pittsford Railroad along its original (and now abandoned) line, this bridge is a highly unique and usual configuration, as its a double barreled bridge with different truss configurations employed. There is not much history available for this bridge unfortunately, so the reasons for its uncommon design are not known.
As stated this is primarily a railroad bridge, with the upstream truss being a Quadrangular Lattice Truss. The use of this truss type is a reflection of the transportation needs on the C & P rail line, as it serviced the quarries north in Florence and Pittsford, VT, as well as the marble industry of Rutland, VT. Being subject to heavy rolling loads, the Quadrangular Lattice provided a strong truss type that was up to the challenge.
The downstream lane is equally interesting, as it appears to be a abandoned highway bridge (and this could conceivably be an old alignment of Depot Lane, although whether this was for road use or some kind of railroad function is speculation). The upstream truss line is the shared Lattice truss of the railroad, but the downstream one is a very lightly built riveted Baltimore truss. The truss and its associated overhead bracing is simple angled steel, with no built up members giving it a very spare look.
Its presumed that this bridge (along with most of the old CLP) was abandoned in the 1960's when the Vermont Rail System acquired the CLP from the Vermont Marble company and abandoned most of the original alignment in favor of the Vermont Railway line, which ran a mostly parallel course (Although formal abandonment didn't come until 1988).
- Abandoned lattice through truss bridge over Otter Creek on Clarendon & Pittsford Railroad
- Rutland, Rutland County, Vermont
- Built 1907, Out of service c.1972; Abandoned 1988
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Clarendon & Pittsford Railroad (CLP)
- Quadrangular lattice through truss with an attached Baltimore truss
Total length: 170.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.60258, -73.01014 (decimal degrees)
43°36'09" N, 73°00'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/660598/4829657 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 64674 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 26, 2015: Updated by Michael Quiet: Added categories "Riveted", "Baltimore through truss"
- December 13, 2014: New Street View added by Ian Martin
- Ian Martin
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com