Gifford Covered Bridge 45-09-03
Gifford Covered Bridge
When I last visited this site in the Summer of 2011, the bridge was undergoing a heavy refurbishment. Tuesday I found this beautiful new version. I big improvement from this - www.flickr.com/photos/jcbwalsh/7050802259
For free interactive maps of...
Photo taken April 2012 by Flickr user jcbwalsh
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #281436
One of two "half high" multiple kingspost trusses in the state of Vermont (the other being the nearby Braley bridge (bridge hunter ID bh59817). This bridge was most likely built as a boxed pony truss in 1904, and was later fully covered, creating a truss that was only half the height of the covered bridge, hence the name. Its unknown when exactly this bridge was covered, but since the nearby Braley bridge was covered in 1909 it seems likely that this bridge was done around this time.
Around 1955 2 steel stringers were added above the deck (alongside the trusses) to supplement the original truss system. In its comprehensive 2011 rehabilitation these I beams were removed and were replaced by glue laminated wooden beams.
- Covered "Half High" Multiple Kingpost truss bridge over Second Branch, White River on Hyde Road
- East Randolph, Orange County, Vermont
- Open to traffic
- Built 1904; Rehabilitated with steel stringers added circa 1955; Rehabilitated 2011
- - Wright Construction (2011 rehabilitation)
- "Half High" Multiple Kingpost truss
Length of largest span: 46.9 ft.
Total length: 49.9 ft.
Deck width: 10.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 30, 1974
- Also called
- C K Smith Covered Bridge
Lower Covered Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.91617, -72.55500 (decimal degrees)
43°54'58" N, 72°33'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/696303/4865468 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Randolph Center
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 74000240 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 45-09-03 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 59816 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 6, 2018: New photo from Richard Doody
- August 27, 2015: New Street View added by David Backlin
- August 27, 2015: Updated by Michael Quiet: Refined truss type and added info
- April 9, 2014: Photos imported by Dave King
- February 19, 2014: Added by Jack Schmidt
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com
- David Backlin - us71 [at] cox [dot] net
- Richard Doody