Rating:
No votes cast

Woolen Mill Bridge

Photos 

Woolen Mill Bridge

Downstream side of the crossing

Photo taken by Michael Quiet in March 2016

Enlarge

BH Photo #351379

Map 

Description 

Built as part of the Woolen Mill complex, this stone arch was constructed over the tail section of the mill run (the channel of water that powered the water wheel) where it returns to the Winooski River. In later years the run powered an electric generator, and continued to be in service until the mill closed in 1954.

In 1979 the mill was converted into an apartment complex, and the bridge now serves a small pedestrian path behind the building.

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Old mill race on Champlain Mill Path
Location
Winooski, Chittenden County, Vermont
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built c.1881 for the American Woolen Mill; Abandoned 1954; Converted to pedestrian path 1979
Design
Stone arch
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.48922, -73.18881   (decimal degrees)
44°29'21" N, 73°11'20" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/644012/4927806 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 71763 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 8, 2016: Added by Michael Quiet

Sources 

  • Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com