Rating:
1 vote

E. & T. Fairbanks & Company Two-Story Covered Bridge

Photos 

Along River To Bridge, North Side

Photo taken by Jack E. Boucher for the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

BH Photo #281452

Map 

Description 

This wooden lattice truss bridge with auxiliary arches was originally built in about 1876, but the second story added at a later date. The bridge, which spans Sleepers River, connects factory buildings on either side of the river, and was an integral part of the factory complex. Three gothic windows with pointed arches were located on each side of the enclosing walls. It is a rare example of a two story covered bridge.

-- Historic American Engineering Record

Facts 

Overview
Lost Two-Story Covered Town lattice truss with arches bridge over Sleepers River on Factory crossing
Location
St. Johnsbury, Caledonia County, Vermont
Status
Destroyed by Fire
History
Built c. 1876; Destroyed by fire 1972
Builder
- Lambert Packard
Design
Two-story Town lattice through truss with arch
Dimensions
Total length: 60.6 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.41509, -72.02683   (decimal degrees)
44°24'54" N, 72°01'37" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/736705/4922277 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Saint Johnsbury
Inventory number
BH 60640 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • February 15, 2017: Updated by Michael Quiet: Corrected loss date & reason
  • April 10, 2014: Added by Dave King

Sources 

  • Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • HAER VT-1-A - E. & T. Fairbanks & Company, Two-Story Covered Bridge, Saint Johnsbury, Caledonia County, VT
  • Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com