Mattox Creek Bridge
Work to replace the Mattox Creek bridge south of Colonial Beach is about to start.
On Tuesday [June 24, 2014], crews will start moving in equipment, which will be stored on State Route 638 at State Route 205. The section of Route 638 near the project will remain closed throughout the project.
Actual work on the bridge won’t start until after July 4.
The $8.1 million project will take two years to complete, so residents who use State Route 205 (James Monroe Highway) will have to get used to delays.
- Steel stringer bridge over Mattox Creek on James Monroe Hwy. (VA-205)
- Westmoreland County, Virginia
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Demolition and replacement beginning July 2014: http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/06/23/mattox-cr...
- Built 1930
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 28.9 ft.
Total length: 172.9 ft.
Deck width: 23.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.19924, -77.00713 (decimal degrees)
38°11'57" N, 77°00'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/324248/4229825 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Rollins Fork
- Inventory numbers
- VA 19222 (Virginia bridge number)
BH 54497 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 05/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 49.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- April 23, 2017: Updated by Joe Martin: Bridge built in 1930 has been replaced by a new one
- June 23, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge scheduled for replacement beginning July 2014
- November 16, 2012: Added by Jared Mixson
- Jared Mixson
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Joe Martin