Salt Trail Bridge, Trestle 1
Photo taken by Timothy and Joann Phillips in July 2018
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA)
BH Photo #432277
This beautiful trestle is now part of the "Salt Trail" rails-to-trails project. Saltville, the Salt Capital of the Confederacy, supplied salt and then other chemicals for years, shipped over the Salt Branch of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad, which was then incorporated into Norfolk and Western and is now part of Norfolk Southern.
- Timber stringer bridge over Clinchburg Road cr748 on Salt Trail
- Washington County, Virginia
- Open to pedestrians only
- The Virginia and Tennessee railroad completed the Salt Branch in 1856.
- - Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Virginia & Tennessee Railroad
- Timber stringer with one steel portion over span widened for roadway.
- Also called
- Salt Branch Railroad Trestle One
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.83168, -81.81246 (decimal degrees)
36°49'54" N, 81°48'45" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/427551/4076508 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 82393 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 27, 2018: Added by Timothy and Joann Phillips
- Timothy and Joann Phillips