Beech Fork (Trib) Norfolk Southern Bridge
Photo taken by Charles Kuehn Oct. 2004
BH Photo #344312
This structure is located just south of the West Virginia/Virginia state line near Amonate, Virginia. It is probably best known for its inclusion in one of O. Winston Link's lesser known photographs, where he captured one of Norfolk & Western's 1959 "Farewell to Steam" excursions.
This is a significant structure on the modern Norfolk Southern, but gets little recognition from the railfan photographer community - possibly because of low traffic density and poor accessibility relative to major highways.
- Bridge over Trace Branch on Norfolk Southern Dry Fork Branch
- Tazewell County, Virginia
- Deck plate girder supported on steel towers
Total length: 1,343.0 ft.
- Also called
- Trace Fork Bridge
Trace Fork Viaduct
High Bridge on the Dry Fork Line
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.17630, -81.65389 (decimal degrees)
37°10'35" N, 81°39'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/441953/4114630 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 70318 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 21, 2015: Added by Charles Kuehn