NRT - Hiwassee Trestle
NRT Hiwassee Trestle Profile
Photo by Kelly McClanahan, sometime 1990/91 (color corrected by Fmiser)
BH Photo #268724
Five Warren Through Truss Spans over the New River . Built in 1931 for Norfolk and Western, it is now part of the New River Trail State Park, a 56 mile long rail-to-trail project of the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation.
- Five Span Warren Through Truss With Verticals Carrying New River Trail Across New River. Formerly Norfolk and Western Railway.
- Hiawassee, Pulaski County, Virginia
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1931
- - Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia [also known as Virginia Bridge Co.]
- - Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Warren through truss with all verticals
Total length: 951.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.96313, -80.71910 (decimal degrees)
36°57'47" N, 80°43'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/525005/4090818 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 56515 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 1, 2019: Updated by Timothy and Joann Phillips: Added photos and updated description
- December 16, 2018: New Street View added by Luke
- December 16, 2018: New photo from Timothy and Joann Phillips
- October 19, 2013: New photos from Kelly McClanahan
- October 17, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
- October 15, 2013: New photos from Kelly McClanahan
- June 8, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder to the prexisting category. "deleted" the new category.
- June 8, 2013: Added by Kelly McClanahan
- Kelly McClanahan
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Timothy and Joann Phillips