Rating:
1 vote

Stone Bridge

Photos 

Photo taken by Daniel McFarland

Enlarge

BH Photo #133248

Map 

Street View 

Description 

1825 and repaired in 1847, the bridge was blown up by the Confederates on March 9, 1862 when they withdrew from the region. Within months, Union Army engineers replaced the bridge with a temporary wooden structure that was eventually demolished by the rear guard of Maj. Gen. John Popeís retreating army defeated at the Battle of Second Bull Run on August 30, 1862. In 1886, the Stone Bridge was reconstructed in stone on the location of the 1825 span. Some portions of the abutments may survive from the wartime structure. This new structure, similar to the original bridge, remained open to traffic until 1926 when a modern highway bridge was constructed downstream. The modern bridge was replaced in the late 1960ís.

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Bull Run Creek next to US 29 in Manassas
Location
Prince William County, Virginia, and Fairfax County, Virginia
Status
Open to pedestrians
History
Originally Built 1825, destroyed 1862, rebuilt 1886
Design
Stone arch
Dimensions
Total length: 158.0 ft.
Recognition
Listed as a contributing resource to the Manassas National Battlefield Park Historic District
Also called
Bull Run Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.82435, -77.50362   (decimal degrees)
38°49'28" N, 77°30'13" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/282657/4300263 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Gainesville
Inventory number
BH 39821 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • July 10, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
  • December 3, 2011: Updated by J.P.: updated history of this bridge, added build year, added category civil war.
  • February 10, 2009: Added by Daniel McFarland

Sources 

  • Daniel McFarland
  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Andrew Raker