Aden Road Bridge
Photo taken by Bob Kirkpatrick
BH Photo #112849
Virginia Department of Transporation Bridge No. 6051 is a five-panel Pratt through truss bridge 73'-11 1/2" in length. Manufactured by the Keystone Bridge Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1882, the structure is a representative surviving example of a popular truss type built to specifications by railroad companies and bridge companies during the 1875-1925 period in Virginia. Relatively inexpensive and easy to manufacture, ship, and erect on site, Pratt metal truss bridges found widespread application on U.S. railroads and highways throughout the last quarter of the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century.
The one-lane wrought-iron truss bridge will be removed from its perch over the Norfolk-Southern railway on Tuesday.
Remediation work to remove lead paint will be performed on the bridge, and then it will be trucked to Florida for a complete restoration. The bridge is 133 years old.
“It’s a community cornerstone,” said Virginia Department of Transportation spokeswoman Ellen Kamilakis.
Once the bridge is restored, it will be brought back to Nokesville and put back into service over the railroad tracks. A new concrete bridge will be built next to the old Aden Road bridge.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Through truss bridge over Southern Railroad on Aden Road in Nokesville
- Prince William County, Virginia
- Temporarily removed for rehabilitation
- Future prospects
- To be removed to Florida for rehabilitation and returned 2016
- Built 1882; renovation scheduled 2016
- - Keystone Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pin-connected, 5-panel Pratt through truss
Span length: 78.1 ft.
Total length: 78.1 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 21.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1978
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.70716, -77.56426 (decimal degrees)
38°42'26" N, 77°33'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/277027/4287402 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- VA 14340 (Virginia bridge number)
NRHP 78003040 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 33805 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 3.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 14, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge to re removed for renovation and restoration, then returned to abutments
- February 7, 2015: Photos imported by Dave King
- January 5, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- February 26, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info
- June 20, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Bridge to be rehabilitated
- January 2, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- April 19, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- March 15, 2008: New photos from Bob Kirkpatrick
- March 6, 2008: New photo from Bob Kirkpatrick