Oak Ridge Bridge
Oak Ridge Railroad Overpass
Photo taken by C Hanchey in June 2009
BH Photo #141900
The Oak Ridge Bridge is a representative example of a pin-connected wrought iron Pratt through truss typical of late nineteenth century factory-manufactured railroad bridges. The bridge was moved to its present site to serve as an overhead highway bridge, a typical reuse of early railroad bridges. The bridge is an important contributing structure within the Oak Ridge historic district.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Pratt through truss bridge over Norfolk Southern Railway on Wilson Road (Route 653)
- Nelson County, Virginia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1882
- - Keystone Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- - Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Pin-connected Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 100.1 ft.
Total length: 138.1 ft.
Deck width: 12.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 19.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1978
- Also called
- Wilson Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.70333, -78.87000 (decimal degrees)
37°42'12" N, 78°52'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/687770/4175035 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 78003033 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
VA 12538 (Virginia bridge number)
BH 33773 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 31.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 5, 2012: HAER photos posted by J.P.
- July 1, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey: Added Bridge Builder
- June 28, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey: added NRHP info
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- HAER VA-107 - Oak Ridge Bridge, Spanning Southern Railroad at VA State Route 653, Oak Ridge vicinity, Nelson, VA
- HAER VA-107 - Oak Ridge Bridge, Spanning Southern Railroad at VA State Route 653, Oak Ridge, Nelson County, VA