Designed by Albert Fink, the bridge was originally part of the mainline used by the Norfolk and Western Railroad for its trains from 1870 to 1893. In 1893, it was moved to Old Forest and Halsey Roads and used for vehicular traffic to cross over the Norfolk and Western mainline. It was moved again in 1985 to its present location in Riverside Park and is used as a pedestrian bridge. It is a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.
Fink Deck truss bridge over unknown creek on Trail