Photo taken by Royce and Bobette Haley in January 2017
BH Photo #377421
Rusty rail about a month after it was abandoned. Was the route of Lynchburg's first railroad, the Virginia & Tennessee, chartered in 1848, and was successor Norfolk & Western's main line through Lynchburg until the bypass (the "Belt Line") around downtown Lynchburg was opened in the Spring of 1908. N&W passenger traffic continued to use this route until late December 1964. Last used by N&W to interchange freight cars with the C&O. Following the merger of the N&W and Southern Ry. on June 1, 1982, the tunnel route was abandoned and interchange traffic was routed on the Southern's Old Main line.