Goose Creek Bridge
Built in 1802 during the Presidency of Thomas Jefferson, this bridge is one of the last four arch stone bridges in Virginia, and was the scene of a cavalry and artillery duel on June 21, 1863, at the beginning of the Gettysburg Campaign
Abandoned by the highway department in 1957, the Fauquier and Loudoun Garden Club took on the bridge's maintenance and preservation in perpetuity in 1976."
This bridge carried vehicular traffic until 1957.
From: A SURVEY OF MASONRY AND CONCRETE ARCH BRIDGES IN VIRGINIA
"The largest surviving masonry turnpike bridge in Virginia is the 200-foot, four-span Ashby’s Gap Turnpike bridge, completed before 1820 and crossing Goose Creek near Atoka (Figure 12). When Rt. 50 was realigned in the mid-20th century, the bridge was taken off system. It is now administered by the Fauquier and Loudoun Garden Club."
- Stone arch bridge over Goose Creek on Old US 50/Ashby Gap Turnpike
- Loudoun County, Virginia
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1802, was centered in the Battle of Upperville in 1863, Closed 1957
- Stone arch
Total length: 235.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 9, 1974
- Also called
- Ashby's Gap Turnpike bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.98160, -77.81891 (decimal degrees)
38°58'54" N, 77°49'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/255821/4318515 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 74002134 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 50429 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 5, 2011: Updated by J.P.: added Civil war category/description
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com