Featherbed Lane Bridge
East Portal And Deck View, From East, Showing Inclined Endposts, Through Trusses, East Portal Strut, Overhead Bracing, And Timber Deck
Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #192910
Originally erected in 1889 on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike over Goose Creek to replace a bridge destroyed by flooding. In 1932 the bridge was dismantled and moved to it's current location likely to replace another span.
Here is the link to the replacement 1932 bridge;
- Through truss bridge over Catoctin Creek on Featherbed Lane (Rt673)
- Loudoun County, Virginia
- Open to traffic
- Built in 1889 by the Variety Iron Works; relocated here in 1932
- - Variety Iron Works of Cleveland, Ohio
- Pin connected Pratt through truss (Wrought iron)
Span length: 159.1 ft.
Total length: 159.1 ft.
Deck width: 11.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 20.3 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1974
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.23224, -77.59142 (decimal degrees)
39°13'56" N, 77°35'29" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/276324/4345749 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- VA 11253 (Virginia bridge number)
NRHP 74002136 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 33736 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 21.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 6, 2020: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- February 26, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- December 5, 2011: Updated by J.P.: is listed on the NRHP
- January 28, 2011: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Changed date of construction and added to historic description.
- January 27, 2011: New photos from Nathan Holth
- May 4, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge type.
- March 1, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Fixed GPS coordinates
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- HAER VA-110 - Virginia Department of Transportation Bridge No. 6051, Spanning Catoctin Creek at State Route 673 (Featherbottom Road), Waterford vicinity, Loudoun, VA
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Patrick Gurwell - pgurwell [at] gmail [dot] com