Rating:
3 votes

N&W - Six Mile Bridge

Photos 

Looking West

Photo taken by Royce and Bobette Haley in December 2016

Enlarge

BH Photo #372321

Map 

Description 

Dimensions are estimates

Facts 

Overview
Abandoned Pratt deck truss bridge over James River on N&W RR
Location
Campbell County, Virginia, and Amherst County, Virginia
Status
Abandoned in 1972; owned by the Mount Athos Regional Museum and Information Center, Inc.
Railroads
- Atlantic, Mississippi, & Ohio Railroad (AM&O)
- Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W)
- Southside Railroad
Design
Warren deck truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 112.0 ft.
Total length: 691.0 ft.
Deck width: 10.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 12, 1995
Also called
Bridge No. 58
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.39315, -79.06171   (decimal degrees)
37°23'35" N, 79°03'42" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/671577/4140249 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Kelly
Inventory numbers
NRHP 95001175 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 49602 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 9, 2020: Updated by Geoff Hubbs: Added NRHP listing, current owner and alternate name
  • February 4, 2017: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
  • December 7, 2016: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: cor. county added cat.
  • December 6, 2011: Updated by J.P.: updated bridge type and it crosses county lines
  • September 12, 2011: Added by Luke Harden

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Luke
  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • Geoff Hubbs

Comments 

N&W - Six Mile Bridge
Posted January 23, 2020, by John Marvig (marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com)

Very interesting. The bridge is has had a third truss line added at some point. It only has two truss lines in photo 23.

Six Mile Bridge
Posted September 11, 2012, by Dani Matthews (Da diary [at] comcast [dot] net)

My great grandfather was killed by a train on this trestle April 25,1895. His name was Marcellus Adolphus Matthews . There is an article in Lynchburg news 26 april, 1895 page 6, col. 3