Original Airport Entrance Road Bridge
The Original Airport Entrance Overpass is one of the twelve original bridges of the Mount Vernon Memorial Highway.
The Mount Vernon Memorial Highway (MVMH) was completed in 1932 and became the first segment of the George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP). The Orginal Airport Entrance Overpass, referred to in the original drawings as Overpass, Entrance to Proposed Airport, was completed in 1931 in anticipation of National Airport. In 1939 and the expansion of Gravelly Point Airport, now National Airport, led to the first significant realignment of the highway. The overpass became a part of internal airport circulation without ever being used by the MVMH. It was demolished in February 1994.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
I'm not 100% on the location.
- Lost Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Original Airport Entrance Road on GWMP
- Arlington County, Virginia
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1932; Replaced 1994
- - Merritt-Chapman & Scott Corporation of New York, New York
- U.S. Bureau of Public Roads of Washington, D.C.
- Closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 50.0 ft.
Total length: 120.0 ft.
Deck width: 66.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.5 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.84949, -77.04791 (decimal degrees)
38°50'58" N, 77°02'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/322284/4302066 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 65342 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 6, 2015: Added by Dave King
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER VA-92 - Original Airport Entrance Overpass, Spanning original Airport Entrance Road at National Airport, Arlington, Arlington County, VA