Rating:
1 vote

Greenwood Tunnel

Photos 

Southwest Portal. Note Eliptical Arch With Keystone

Photo taken by Jack E. Boucher for the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

BH Photo #301128

Map 

Description 

The Greenwood Tunnel was the easternmost of the four tunnels designed by Claudius Crozet for the Blue Ridge Railroad. The brick, elliptical arched tunnel is a representative example of 19th century tunnel technology, as well as a surviving example of the work of Claudius Crozet. / The Blue Ridge Railroad, 17 miles in length, originally connected the terminus of the Louisa Railroad near Blair Park with the town of Waynesboro.

-- Historic American Engineering Record

Facts 

Overview
Abandoned tunnel on Blue Ridge Railroad
Location
Albemarle County, Virginia
Status
Derelict/abandoned
History
Built 1850-1853
Builder
- Claudius Crozet
Railroad
- Blue Ridge Railroad (BR)
Design
Tunnel
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.05404, -78.77147   (decimal degrees)
38°03'15" N, 78°46'17" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/695527/4214155 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Waynesboro East
Inventory number
BH 63580 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • October 12, 2014: Added by Dave King

Sources 

  • Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • HAER VA-3 - Blue Ridge Railroad, Greenwood Tunnel, Highway 690 vicinity, Greenwood, Albemarle County, VA