Provo River Parkway - Provo River Bridge
The Olmstead Bridge is an excellent, unaltered example of a pin connected, steel Howe Truss railroad bridge, typical of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Although originally constructed and installed at another location, the bridge still retains integrity of historic location along the Heber Creeper Railroad grade. Because it has been used at three different locations, it typifies the versatility of steel plate bridges and the adaptability of bridge engineering during the time of its principal use. In addition, the bridge has integrity of design, feeling, materials, and workmanship relative to its physical setting and technological context.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Pratt through truss bridge over Provo River on Provo River Parkway
- Orem, Utah County, Utah
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1884; relocated in 1901 and 1919; abandoned 1969
- - Union Bridge Co. of Buffalo, New York & Athens, Pennsylvania
- - Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad (DRGW)
- Wrought iron, pin-connected, 5-panel Pratt through truss
- Also called
- DRGW - Provo River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.31533, -111.65444 (decimal degrees)
40°18'55" N, 111°39'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 12/444395/4462961 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 45361 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 5, 2016: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- January 5, 2015: Updated by Luke: Seperated cities + edited info to reflect that the bridge is now a trail.
- November 11, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Railroad"
- January 23, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad"
- May 25, 2011: Updated by Tony Dillon: Changed status
- May 25, 2011: New photos from Rick McOmber
- May 22, 2010: Added by Kim Harvey
- Kim Harvey
- HAER UT-14 - Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad, Provo River Bridge, Spanning Provo River, Orem Vicinity, Orem vicinity, Utah, UT
- Rick McOmber - rickvic8 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- HAER UT-63-C - Heber Creeper Railroad Line, Olmstead Bridge, Spanning Provo River, Provo, Utah County, UT