Lone Wolf Bridge
Photo taken by Tom Earnest
BH Photo #210290
This 132-foot-long Pratt through truss, fabricated in 1922 by the Virginia Bridge and Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia, was commissioned by the newly created State Highway Department of Texas.
Set on two limestone piers topped by concrete caps, it is the oldest surviving bridge and the only remaining metal truss bridge in San Angelo. In its vicinity is the traditional crossing point along the Concho River from Fort Concho to points south and east, particularly to the Lone Wolf buffalo hunters’ camp dating to the 1870s.
The rehabilitation of the metal truss and its reinforced concrete approaches is a result of a partnership between the Federal Highway Administration, Texas Department of Transportation, and the city of San Angelo in an effort to preserve them as a pedestrian landmark in a local hike and bike trail. Project year 2011
- Through truss bridge over South Concho River on E. Avenue K in San Angelo
- San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1922; rehabilitated 1933
- - Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia [also known as Virginia Bridge Co.]
- Pratt through truss with riveted connections. Bridge is set on two limestone piers topped by concrete caps
Length of largest span: 149.9 ft.
Total length: 586.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.2 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 25, 1988
- Also called
- South Concho River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +31.44583, -100.42556 (decimal degrees)
31°26'45" N, 100°25'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/364538/3479892 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 072260B00315031 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 88002546 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 33386 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 29, 2016: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated status
- April 16, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Added city
- January 4, 2012: Updated by Jason Straub: added NRHP info
- August 22, 2011: Updated by aaron leibold: Text from historic plaque includes builders name
- November 23, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Corrected Name
- April 19, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- March 22, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added Street View.