Fort Griffin Bridge
The Fort Griffin Iron Truss Bridge is the oldest functioning bridge in Shackelford County, Texas, and one of the state's oldest remaining trusses. It is also the last remaining pin-connected Pratt through truss in the county. Because it has survived with few alterations, the Fort Griffin Iron Truss Bridge is a remarkably intact example of an early metal truss bridge in Texas. Built to accommodate traffic between the county seats at Albany and Throckmorton, the bridge cuts through what used to Fort Griffin, a military checkpoint and cattle town. The Fort Griffin Iron Truss Bridge was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
- Historic American Engineering Record
- Through truss bridge over Clear Fork Brazos River on CR 188
- Shackelford County, Texas
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1885 by the King Bridge Co.
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- Pin-connected, 6-panel Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 108.9 ft.
Total length: 311.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.8 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 16, 1979
- Also called
- Fort Griffin Brazos River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +32.93444, -99.22444 (decimal degrees)
32°56'04" N, 99°13'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/479017/3644041 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Fort Griffin
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 082090AA0188001 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 79003006 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 33366 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2014)
- Sufficiency rating: 17 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 16, 2015: Updated by Dave King: Added HAER description
- March 5, 2013: New photos from Barclay Gibson
- January 4, 2012: Updated by Jason Straub: added NRHP info
- HAER TX-63 - Fort Griffin Iron Truss Bridge, Spanning Clear Fork of Brazos River at County Route 188, Fort Griffin vicinity, Shackelford County, TX
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com