Sugarloaf Mountain Bridge
The Sugarloaf Bridge is a 234-foot long, pin connected Parker Through Truss bridge located over the Little River near Historic Sugarloaf Mountain in Milam County. The Truss span used for this bridge was originally erected in 1896 over the Brazos River on the Bryan - Caldwell Road in Brazos County. The span was relocated to its present Milam County site in 1940. The original Bridge on the Bryan-Caldwell Road had been constructed at the site of the Pitts Ferry Crossing by the Brazos River Bridge Company as part of a multi-span toll bridge. In 1909 it was purchased by Brazos County and continued in use as a free bridge until 1930, when the Texas Highway Department constructed Highway 21. The bridge was abandoned upon completion of a new Brazos River crossing on SH21. After the Faubion Bridge fell into the river in December of 1937, Milam County hired the Austin Bridge Company to move one of the spans of the old abandoned Brazos River bridge and erect it here near the base of Sugarloaf Mountain.
In 2006 this bridge was restored by the Texas Department of Transportation using Federal Highway Administration Transportation Enhancement Funds.
- Parker through truss bridge over Little River on CR 264
- Milam County, Texas
- Restored and open to pedestrians
- Built 1896 - Relocated to current location 1940
- - Brazos River Bridge Co.
- Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 233.9 ft.
Total length: 310.1 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
- Also called
- Bryan-Caldwell Road Bridge,
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.82566, -96.74390 (decimal degrees)
30°49'32" N, 96°44'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/715798/3412458 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- TXNBI 171660AA0525001 (Texas bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 49554 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/1999)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 24.7 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1996)
- March 12, 2015: Photo imported by Patrick Feller
- November 9, 2012: Updated by aaron leibold: update history and current photo of restoration
- September 8, 2011: Added by James McCray